Yeah, I’ve been silent for a while. (But I ain’t sorry.) Sickness, travel, insomnia… a little from column A, a little from column B have torpedoed my goal to blog each weekday. But I’m back on the horse for now.
Part of the reason it was so hard to blog: I was so wiped out by the sheer sadness of what is going on in the world lately, and I didn’t just want to post the same sadness and passionate anger and exasperation for days on end. I know there’s value to those feelings, but sometimes they are best kept to myself until I process them more fully.
So, yeah, self-care in this new world that we are living in. Here are some things that have been helping me come around – back to my writing and laughter lately.
- Water and prune my house plants. Get dirt under my fingernails. Smell the mustiness of the water and soil mixing together.
- Strolling around in bookstores jammed floor to ceiling with undiscovered delights.
- Leisurely drink a perfectly-pressed cup of coffee. That David made for me.
- This video of a fifth-division league winning a game against Premier League Burnley in the 89th minute.
- Beyoncé on repeat. What else do you do when the world is on fire?
- Liturgists meditations on centering prayer.
- Reading Wendell Berry.
- Seeing people I’ve been friends with forever and not long enough.
- Making David belly laugh.
- Making a meal from fresh ingredients.
- Turning Beyoncé’s “Lemonade” up to 11. (See what I did there?)
What are your self-care activities, friends? I want to know!